Countdown to Baby Kirby!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Friday, June 15, 2012

Beta #2

I went in for my 2nd beta today. While I was getting my blood drawn, I asked the tech if someone would be letting me know when they think my first ultrasound would be. She said that they were anticipating it would probably be the following Tuesday or Wednesday. I was in shock!! I did not expect it to be so soon! I figured it would be at least another 2-3 weeks away, since a heartbeat cannot usually be detected until around week 7 or so. At the first ultrasound, they will be able to see how many sacs there are. Eeeeeek! This is the best news I've heard all day and gives me something to look forward to!

Around 1pm, I got the phone call... my nurse said my HCG level is 445. I was a little concerned about that number because they wanted me to at least be 450, which is a 60% increase from the previous beta. The nurse told me that it is still a good number and that an increase like that is what they like to see. She told me not to be concerned about 5 little points and not to put so much stock in the numbers. An ultrasound is what is going to tell them the most about the viability and status of the pregnancy. Betas are merely guidelines that give them an earlier indication of how everything is going, but they are by no means an exact science. She said she sees low or slowly-rising betas all the time that result in a successful pregnancy. The only time a beta result might be of concern is if the numbers start dropping or do not increase significantly. And that's what they watch for. Apparently my increase was significant enough that they are happy with it.

They want to do another beta on Monday to check my levels again after 72 hours. She said she anticipates my level being over 1000 at that point, which is high enough for the embryonic sac to be viewed on an ultrasound. She thinks maybe the first ultrasound might be as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday, just like the phlebotomist told me earlier today! Unfortunately, Shawn will be in Alaska for work next week from Monday through Wednesday. So I am hoping we will be able do it on Thursday when he is back. For now, I am just going to pray that my levels continue to increase over the weekend. I plan on getting lots of rest between now and Monday, in hopes that maybe it will help my body do what it needs to do -- whatever that is! And lots of praying praying praying...

No comments:

Post a Comment