Countdown to Baby Kirby!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Saturday, January 12, 2013

35 weeks! Weight and Childbirth Class

So yesterday I turned 35... And you know what I just realized? One day later I turned 35 weeks! 35 at 35! Pretty cool! Ok, so maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about only being 5 years away from 40... OLD! ;-)

This week, I had a followup appointment with Dr. Earhart (my MFM). She's just checking up with me every 4-5 weeks to make sure things are still going well. She said that my hypothyroidism, age, and possible IVF complications are the reasons she wants to keep a close watch on me. Better to be safe than sorry, I always say! Everything looked great. Blake is average in all of her measurements and weighs 4 lbs 15 oz! Wow, just about 5 lbs! And we still have around 5 weeks to go. Grow, Blake, grow! (but not too much... haha!)

Shawn & I are attending a childbirth class this weekend. Prior to this, I never really let myself think about childbirth because, quite frankly, it freaks me out! I may be a strong woman in some areas of life, but I have never considered myself to be physically strong. I'd say I have a pretty low pain tolerance and have never been one to take on physical challenges. Giving birth is something that I know I will get through (because I have to), but not something that I am looking forward to toiling through! To be honest, if my OB said that I needed to schedule a c-section, I would be beyond thrilled. I know it's really better for the baby to be born "naturally". But the control freak in me would love to know when Blake will be born, as well as having a team of doctors and nurses standing by in case of emergency. I mean, how cool would it be to tell the family to be at the hospital on a certain day/time so they can meet her?? I know, it doesn't always work out that way. So I've got to be realistic. That's why we are taking this class. We are learning all about lamaze, labor, breastfeeding, newborn care, and what to expect during and after delivery. I really think it is the videos that are freaking me out. The women in the videos are pretty holistic and try not to rely on modern medicine to get them through labor, for the most part. While I understand the logic of why they do those things, it's just not me. Don't get me wrong... if my labor is not progressing and walking around or bouncing on a ball will help, then I may end up trying it. But I still plan on getting an epidural and easing my pain as much as possible. That may sound selfish, but I know myself. If I don't take the edge off, then I'll want to quit... and that's not an option. All in all, I'm glad we are taking the class. We are much more informed now and know what to expect, for the most part. Although, everyone tells us that it never goes how you expect it to. Which is kind of why I wasn't letting myself think about it to begin with. I don't have a "birth plan". I just want to take it moment-by-moment and do whatever the doctor feels is best for all of us. I know we will get through it and pray that we end up with a beautiful, healthy little girl. I'm sure when the pain is all over and Blake is here, I will be really proud of myself and be willing to do it all over again. In the meantime, I'm just going to be as prepared as possible (pack hospital bags, get the house ready, etc.), without thinking about the labor part too much. But I'll leave you with a couple of videos to enjoy. The first one is similar to the ones they are making us watch in the class -- very holistic and cheesy. And this video does not even come close to how awkward the videos were -- only a small taste. The second video is from a movie where they are making fun of these types of classes. So true and so hilarious!







How I’m Changing

Total weight gain:
 14 lbs (1 lb lost since last week)
Maternity clothes? yes
Stretch marks? not a single one!
Sleep: starting to get sketchy... bathroom breaks are frequent and can't get comfy
Best moment this week: seeing Blake on ultrasound!
Miss Anything? sweets
Movement: is there ever! mostly at night and the wee hours of the morning... lucky me!
Food cravings: sugar and bread!
Anything making you queasy or sick: no
Gender: princess
Symptoms: swollen feet & ankles (as usual), some backaches, waddling a little, broken sleep
Belly Button in or out? in, but just barely
Wedding rings on or off? off
Happy or Moody most of the time: not too bad this week!
Looking forward to: finding out how much Blake weighs on Monday at OB appt!


Blake Alexis Kirby Week 35 Update:

Your baby's the size of a coconut! She's about 17.2 to 18.7 inches. From here on out, she won't get much longer, but she's plumping up. She's now about 4.2 to 5.8 pounds, and she'll put on a pound or more of baby fat before birth. Now, her hearing is fully developed, and she responds best to high-pitched noises. 





No comments:

Post a Comment