Today was my 36-week checkup. The nurse took my blood pressure, and it was normal (as usual) -- despite my very swollen feet. I was hooked up to the NST machine again for about 20 minutes. Blake didn't do much moving this time. I must have caught her in a mid-afternoon nap. Although, I swear, she was bouncing around when I was out in the lobby just before I got called back. Little stinker. But the NST still went well. Heart rate is normal and there were no detected contractions.
Then the OB did an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid level and for fetal movement. Both looked great. Blake finally moved around for us a little -- enough for the OB to be happy and rule out possible problems at this point. Her breathing looked normal as well. In the words of my OB: "She looks perfect!" I was happy with that! I was a little bummed after my appointment when I realized that I forgot to ask how much Blake weighed. I'll call tomorrow to see if she actually checked the weight or not. If not, I'll just wait to find out next week. I was kicking myself that I didn't ask her about it, since that was the one thing I really wanted to know! Oh well... I'm guess she's around 6 lbs or so by now.
The OB also did a pelvic/cervical exam -- my first one! It was a little uncomfortable, but didn't last long. She said I am currently 1cm dilated and that my cervix is soft. However, I am not effaced (thinned out). But the dilation and softened cervix are signs that my body is in very early labor, which is a great sign! That doesn't necessarily mean that I will go into active labor tomorrow. It just means that I am progressing to the final stage of this pregnancy. It could be several more weeks before I even make further progression, but it could also be sooner. Only time will tell. OB asked if I was having any contractions, and I told her I didn't think so. I mentioned that I sometimes felt a tightness only across the top of my stomach (uterus). She asked if it lasted for only around 1 minute and I said "yeah, I guess so". She said that, most likely, those are early contractions -- just my body's way of preparing for labor and very normal. I had no idea you could have contractions in only one area, as I was told before by others than it was usually your entire uterus that contracts. But, everything I have felt thus far has been very mild and didn't hurt at all. It feels like the baby is just cramming her whole body into one area of my body, which gets rock hard. But apparently those are actually small contractions. OB said not to worry about going to the hospital unless they come every 5 minutes for 1 hour.
As for when Miss Blake will make her arrival... I mentioned to the OB that I probably had a little over 3 weeks or more. She said she didn't see me going much more than 39-40 weeks -- definitely not past my due date. This made me happy because, at one time, she said she wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks! So, worst case scenario, I could be induced the Monday after my due date which is February 18th. (The only reason she wouldn't induce me on my Saturday due date would be if she was not on call that weekend.) I think the only reason she would induce at 39 weeks is because of my gestational diabetes. Although, I started taking Glyburide today to help control my blood sugar levels. So I'm hoping high blood sugar is a thing of the past. If I go all the way to my due date, that will give me 2 full weeks after I stop working to get some things done around the house to prepare and try to get some extra rest. I know once Blake comes, sleep and restfulness will be a thing of the past! And, if she decides to come before my due date, then I'll be just as happy! Overall, I am incredibly blessed that I have had such an uneventful and relatively easy pregnancy. Thanks be to God!!
No comments:
Post a Comment