Countdown to Baby Kirby!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Monday, January 14, 2013

35w2d OB Update

Today, I saw my OB for the 35-week checkup. First, I spent around 20 minutes on the NST machine. This is where they hook up 2 electrodes to my belly... 1 to monitor the baby's heart rate and the other to monitor possible uterine contractions. Blake was dancing in there almost the whole time! There is a button I have to push every time I feel movement. At one point, I was literally pushing the button in a rhythmic pattern every 2 seconds or so. I couldn't figure out what she was doing in there! And I could hear her moving around on the monitor, almost like she was moving to a beat. Eventually, the nurse came to check on me and heard the same rhythmic patterns that I did. She said "Oh! She has the hiccups!" Mystery solved! It was too cute! :-)

Next, the OB checked my amniotic fluid and Blake's measurements on an ultrasound. All of the fluid levels looked good. And Blake is measuring at 5 lbs 10 oz! I was shocked! I told the OB that she only weighed 4 lbs 15 oz last week (just 5 days ago) at the MFM appointment. She said that sometimes the measurements can be off by 1/2 lb (8 oz). So she may not weigh quite that much at this point. But time will soon tell. Either way, 5 lbs 10 oz is still quite average, she assured me. If she was going to be a "big baby", she would be up to 7 lbs by now.

My OB is still checking my daily blood sugar levels to make sure they are not too high. Overall, they are still pretty good. But lately, with the holidays and my birthday, some of them have been a little high. She gave me a prescription for medication to control my blood sugar and advised me to only take it if I could not get my levels under control with diet over the next few days. Even if I have to start taking the meds, it will not hurt the baby or me. It may just bring my blood sugar so low at times that I may feel crummy. But, if I can't start eating better and getting this under control, I will do whatever I need to do. Even tonight, for example, all I had was a grilled chicken sandwich on a wheat bun from Chick-fil-A. Normally, I can eat one for lunch and my blood sugar is only 110 or so. But tonight it was 158!! I don't get it. There is something about dinner-time blood sugar levels that really get me. We are going to eat stew tomorrow night for dinner. I have decided that, if my blood sugar isn't normal after that, I will be filling the prescription and starting the medication.

After seeing my sugar levels and the baby's weight today, the OB mentioned that an induction at 39 weeks could be possible. But that will remain to be seen, depending on how the next few weeks go. Honestly, I would be overjoyed if Blake came 1 week early! Although, I really want whatever is safest and best for Blake. My next appointment is in 1 week, so we'll see what happens between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment