Countdown to Baby Kirby!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ready or not... IVF, here we come.

Only a handful of people know our infertility story. I have decided to start blogging about our journey so that our children can one day read about how they came to be. I want them to know just how much their parents wanted them and planned for them. We have not even conceived them yet, and they are already loved so much.
Our fertility story begins in September 2008. We had been married only 4 months at that point, but we were already both over 30 years old. So I thought it would be a good idea to “pull the goalie” right away. Most young couples assume, starting out, that they will get pregnant right away. Little did we know that almost 4 years down the road we would still be trying for our first child. We tried on our own for about 2 years before seeking the help of a fertility doctor. Tests revealed that we had male factor infertility and would require assisted reproduction.
In October 2010, we tried IUI with Clomid. However, it did not work for us. After we moved back to Houston in December 2010, we went to a new fertility doctor who informed us that IVF would be the best route for us. I was just starting a new job at that time, and we needed time to save money for the procedure. So we decided to take a 1-year break in trying to conceive and spent the year building a new house. It was a welcome distraction indeed!
In January 2012, we went back to the fertility clinic to proceed with our IVF plan. We had Shawn tested one more time to make sure his numbers had not decreased over the past year. While we were at our IVF teaching visit, we actually found out that his numbers had improved! So we decided to switch gears and try IUI again, which is leaps & bounds cheaper than IVF. So, in March 2012, I did a natural IUI cycle which resulted in a chemical loss. We tried IUI again in April 2012 and used injections, but it did not work either. After realizing that my emotions & patience were wearing thin, we decided to surrender to the original IVF plan.
Today I went for my baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. I also paid for half of the IVF procedure – ouch! All of my tests came back “normal”, so I was given the go-ahead to start my injections on Sunday. I will start out taking 150 units of Gonal-F & 150 units of Menopur and increase/decrease my dosage as needed for 8-10 days. Shortly after that, they will do the egg retrieval. This will require that I go under anesthesia in the hospital for an outpatient procedure. Once they fertilize the eggs, the “good” embryos remain with the embryologist for 3-5 days until they are ready to be transferred into me. I should know by around mid-June whether this procedure worked or not. Fingers crossed!!
It has been a long and winding road to get where we are today. But I know that God has a plan for us, which includes everything we have been through up to this point. I do not know what the future holds. But I do know that a big part of my purpose in this life is to be a mother. I do not know how or when this will happen, but I will keep the faith that everything will fall into place in God’s timing. But, between you and me… I hope this is our month! :-)

Maybe one day... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment