Countdown to Baby Kirby!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Monday, May 28, 2012

Lucky 13!

Today at 10:41am, I got a very important phone call. It was the fertility clinic calling to tell us that we have 13 embryos currently incubating! It's funny because that is EXACTLY the number of mature eggs that I guessed there would be, based on last week's ultrasounds. When we checked in yesterday at the surgical center for the egg retrieval, a nurse asked us how many eggs we thought would be retrieved. I told her I was not sure about the total number, but I believed that 13 of them would be mature. And I was right! They "eggs-tracted" 19 eggs, but only 13 fertilized. Which, more than likely, means that the other 6 eggs weren't mature enough to become embryos. This woman knows her body, let me tell ya! ;-)

So today the nurse also told me that, based on the high number of embryos we have, we will do a 5-day transfer instead of a 3-day transfer. It will happen between 8-11am on Friday. We still have not decided if we want to transfer just 1 embryo or 2. Everyone we talk to says 2, of course. However, we are a little nervous to do more than 1, as both embryos could end up implanting. On the other hand, we could transfer 2 and only 1 could be successful. And there is even the possibility that neither embryo could make it. So we are just going to wait and see what our doctor suggests, based on the statistics and quality of the eggs. You will just have to stayed tuned to find out! *evil laugh*

Realistically, by Friday, all 13 embryos may not survive. Typically, some of the embryos don't make it all the way to the 5th day. We will be very happy if at least half of the embryos survive. That way, we can transfer 1 or 2 of them and freeze the rest. If I do not get pregnant this time, then the frozen embryos will allow us to keep trying. Or, if this time does work and we want more babies down the road, all we have to do is thaw one of our embryos. All we can do is trust that God is in control and that He has our best interest at heart. I have been thanking God all day for this precious miracle! Just to think that 13 potential little Kirby babies are sitting in a lab right now with our DNA is amazing to me!! We are so blessed to have had this opportunity! I am definitely looking forward to the coming weeks to see what may be in store for us. If it is not the ending that we expected, then it is not the end! We will keep on trying until we are parents!

Heavenly Father, please watch over our 13 little embryos as they grow big and strong in the lab. If there are any that grow weak and do not survive, please bring them to heaven to be with You. I thank You so much for this opportunity and look forward to being a mommy one day, in Your time. I am so thankful for all of the blessings You have placed in my life. Amen.


Grow, little Kirby embryos! Grow!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, my name is Channa and I was given your blog by your SIL Mellisa! We have become blog friends and she thought we could relate because my husband and I are experiencing infertility issues also. She is so sweet and always so encouraging! The twins are adorable!!
    I look forward to reading your blog!! Have a great day, Channa
    www.lifeasacoacheswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Channa! I am so happy to meet you! I am glad Melissa told you about my blog. I look forward to reading yours as well! If you ever need infertility support, I am here to talk! You can also find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.m.kirby. I am also a member of Fertility Community and FertilityTies, which are encouraging, supportive websites that allow women of all fertility backgrounds to discuss their issues through chat and forums. They have been a lifesaver for me! Hope to talk soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to meet you too! Melissa is so sweet, I told her after reading your blog I finally felt comfortable with what lays ahead! You will have to tell me all about the fertility community because I have not looked into any of them! I will find you on facebook! Talk with you soon!

    ReplyDelete