Last week was my 1-hour glucose screening. I had to drink a bottle of glucola at work and go in to my OB office 1 hour later for a blood draw. The next day, I received a call from the nurse telling me that I just barely failed the test. They like to see a patient's blood sugar to be no more than 140, and mine was 155. So, that meant that I would need to do the 3-hour glucose tolerance test a few days later. Boo. :-(
I took off Friday morning from work to go in for the 3-hour testing. When I arrived at the OB office, I had to do a fasting blood draw and then drink a much sweeter glucola drink than the 1-hour test. Then I had to wait 1 hour and take another blood draw, wait 1 more hour and another blood draw, and then wait a 3rd hour and a final blood draw. After the 1st hour, I was really starting to feel hot and shaky sitting out in the waiting room. I mentioned it to the lab tech, and I'm so glad that I did. She found a cool, quiet room with a recliner for me to sit in for the duration of the test. It made all the difference in the world! While I was sitting there (bored to tears), I decided to text my friend/co-worker Karen a pic of how yucky I felt:
I took off Friday morning from work to go in for the 3-hour testing. When I arrived at the OB office, I had to do a fasting blood draw and then drink a much sweeter glucola drink than the 1-hour test. Then I had to wait 1 hour and take another blood draw, wait 1 more hour and another blood draw, and then wait a 3rd hour and a final blood draw. After the 1st hour, I was really starting to feel hot and shaky sitting out in the waiting room. I mentioned it to the lab tech, and I'm so glad that I did. She found a cool, quiet room with a recliner for me to sit in for the duration of the test. It made all the difference in the world! While I was sitting there (bored to tears), I decided to text my friend/co-worker Karen a pic of how yucky I felt:
![]() |
| haha! pitiful! |
Today, they called me with the results. I passed... but just barely. My final blood sugar draw after 3 hours was 136. But, since it was so borderline, my OB has decided to treat me for gestational diabetes anyway -- just to be safe. So, this Saturday, a home healthcare nurse will be coming to my house to show me how to take my blood sugar and talk about starting a diabetic diet. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled. However, I always like to try to find the silver lining in yucky situations. I think being on a new diet will help me to maintain my weight throughout the rest of my pregnancy. So far, I have been eating pretty much whatever I want. And I have been lucky that I haven't really gained much up to this point. But I know that will only last so long -- especially in the 3rd trimester. Also, I need to do whatever it takes to make sure that Blake is as safe and healthy as possible. So, if a modified diet is what it takes, then consider it done! Bring it on!

No comments:
Post a Comment